Tuesday, March 19, 2019

I would rather not...


Image may contain: 5 people, including BobandGeri Anderson and Shirley Grooters, people smiling, people standing and plant
Betty, Geri, Shirley, Maria, Donna


Just returned from a great ladies retreat this past weekend with these spirit filled women.  Well four of them were spirit filled. I on the other hand did not feel so spirit filled. It had nothing to do with these ladies, or the place, or the cost, or the timing. The last thing I said to my husband was, I would rather not go to this retreat. Yet out the door I walked, got into the car and we five ladies started talking right away. I did not share that I really did not want to go, just silently determined in my heart to make the best of the retreat. 

The first speaker got up and out of her mouth came the very words I said to my husband.  She said, I have been telling God for weeks, I would rather not do this.  God kept replying to her heart, I'd rather you  would for I have something for you.  

All five of us ladies looked at each other and silently mouthed, we did not want to come either.  Wow, I was not the only one.  I know a couple of those ladies well and why they did not want to come but we all chose  for the sake of each other to not allow our trials to keep us homebound.   

As the  speaker continued, she shared how association played a huge part of each of us being there.  One decides to go, ask another to go with her, that person ask another and on it goes till you have five or 25 or more going with you.  

In John 12: 1 -22  Six days before the Passover Jesus came to Bethany.   A large crowd of Jews learned He was there  and came to see Him and Lazarus whom Jesus had raised from the dead.  The next day, as Jesus rode into Jerusalem the crowd took branches from the palm and begin to shout, Hosanna, Blessed is He who comes in the name of the Lord, even the King of Israel.  Among the crowd were some Greeks and they came to Phillip because of his association to Jesus.  They ask him, Sir, we wish to see Jesus. Philip told Andrew and they went and told Jesus.

Jesus told them, :The hour has come for the Son of Man to be glorified, Truly, I say to you, unless a grain of wheat falls into the earth and dies, it remains alone,  but if it dies it bears much fruit.  He who loves his life loses it, and he who hates his life in this world will keep it to life eternal.  If anyone serves Me, he must follow Me, and where I am, there My servants will be also.  If anyone serves Me, the Father will honor him.

Our speaker, us five ladies and I am sure countless others died to themselves just by putting themselves aside for the sake of someone else to be a part of the retreat.  Because of our association to Jesus probably 700 or so women came to hear something from the Lord.  

Our association with Jesus will draw others to us as we go about our lives.  Also our association with others who know Jesus will help us step out when we don't want to do something and get a blessing.  God always has something for us and it does not depend on how we feel.  He blessed the socks off all the women who came to the retreat, filled us up again to face our trials, gave us truth to put into practice just because we associated with others of like mind.  

My prayer is the way I live my life will leave no doubt that I associate with Jesus. 


12 comments:

  1. Isn't that how it works? When we use our self discipline to draw night unto Him, He never fails to give us infinity times favor in return.

    Thanks for the honesty and example to all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so right. God had a word for me about writing my book at that retreat. There was always a prayer team around which we were encouraged to grab a lady for prayer. The first message so moved me that during the end prayer I went for a young women and told her my prayer request. I shared about writing a book and the battle I face to do so. She prayed Nehemiah building the wall and his battle and his finishing the wall over me. Jeremiah 2-3. The lies the enemy has been telling me about writing are as shabby as the old wall was. By word after word I will build my book and with my fingers on the keyboard God will pour words into my spirit. 2:20. My heart was overflowing after she prayed but God was not through. I ask her what could I pray for her. She wants God to give her wisdom so she can be a better prayer intercessor for others. Of course when she mention wisdom she God lite up my heart for that was prayer when I first got saved and it continues today. Yep, I sure did not want to go, but you are right, obedience brings favor with the Lord always. Blessing brothers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you went Betty. Funny (not ha ha funny) how God knows what we need when we are being a tad belligerent. he knew what you needed more than you did.

    ReplyDelete
  4. He sure does Bill. I am sure there have been times I missed something wonderful from the Lord just because I was stuck in a rut. You are very kind with your words, "a tad belligerent", I am usually a " tad " anything, but thanks for the grace brother.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, my Betty...how I can relate. Friends on Long Island wanted me to come up in a couple of weeks. Nope. I had no intention of traveling up to NY - way too stressful for me right now. NY airports are the worst and then there is the long trek to their house on Long Island. Then her son in law called me - a new member of their family who I've never met. He was genuinely excited at the prospect of finally getting to meet me. I remember in that moment, my whole flesh was screaming, "NO, I don't want to!" yet in my spirit, my heart was saying, "This is not about you Diane. It is for them." When I hung up, I was faced with a choice. Me? or Them? I chose them, for that is what our Lord would have done. I made my reservations for a short trip - 4 days only, but yes, I am going.

    I love your last line, Betty: "My prayer is the way I live my life will leave no doubt that I associate with Jesus." I say, "Amen to that!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cannot wait to hear all God has for you in Long Island. I don't know if I ever told you are not but our first trip to Israel I led a lady to the Lord in the New York airport. We have been in lots of airports all over the world and you are so right it is the scariest. There she sit, right next to me though as I waited for Ace to return, she looked as if she had been crying and I just ask her if I could help her. As my daughter says, it's written on my forehead, tell me your whole life story. She told enough and God gave me just enough time to pray for her. Then I ask her if she knew Jesus and you know how the rest works when God set up an appointment for you. You are going to be such a blessing to them Diane, your life is all about Jesus despite all the trials. Actually that is why you are all about Him, when all else fails, you found Him never failing you. As for trips, we are house sitting in Kentucky in May, soooooooooo my friend lets try again to face to face connect. You can come up and stay a few days, there is plenty of room, even a little apartment on the property you can stay in if you want or I can come to you or we can meet half way. For sure Kentucky is a little more restful then New York. Blessings.

      Delete
  6. Sometimes, God does drag us, kicking and screaming, into a new adventure that will enhance our walk with Him. Sounds like this was one of those times for you and others, Betty. When we follow the Lord, though, He never lets us down. May all we meet in this life see Jesus in us. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Martha, you made me laugh, kicking and screaming, yep that was me. My husband kept encouraging me to go or honestly I probably would not have went. There was a non questionable reason I could have used to, well, in my mind anyway. I am still not rested physically yet but getting there but the spiritual benefits are paying off, my heart is restful. You write sister like you have been through this before also. Blessings.

      Delete
  7. I am so thankful God blessed your perseverance and poured out a blessing on all of you ladies, in spite of all you pressed against to get there. It made me think of the woman with the issue of blood and how she pressed through the crowd to see Jesus. We rarely see Him without a great measure of pressing, it seems, but when we get to Him, He already has what we need, and we are healed, restored, and redeemed by touching Him. He is so faithful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Cheryl I love what you wrote, yes it felt like a "pressing" to get there. He did meet me there, those women were prayer warriors and it felt like it too. Our name was on a list and we were personally prayed for by name before we ever got there. Great example for me because if there is any area I lack in it's my prayer life. God has always been patience and merciful with me in this area because that He who He is. Thanks for the encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is me most of the time.. if not all of it. There are things and places I'd rather not be, or go. But God just prods me.. and you know if He tells you to go, you'd better go! I'm such a stickler for not going out much, but then I get into a rut because I get so depressed if I don't go out when I should. Maybe there's a message in this for fellow Christians who are stuck wallowing in their sinful lives/habits...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Depression is a major cause of staying uninvolved in life. Been there even though it's not my personality. I think this is where the sin come sin, we know to do right but because we can find tons of excuses we don't and miss God's blessings on us. I don't mean material blessings but spiritual blessings, those that drive depression away. there was one lady I was struggling with that was my reason for not going. She makes me feel inferior so I find myself avoiding her, she is strong. I hate that I feel that way toward her so not to feel that way I stay away at times. Of course that is totally not from the Lord, it's from my flesh and the enemy of my soul. Life is a battle whether we stay home or go and I have decided again to go instead of stay out of life. The end results is better, always because God does have something good for us in obedience. I want to live life to the fullest which means I must step out in faith and simple live it. Praying

      Delete