Monday, April 29, 2019

Addicted...


Lately I have been struggling with an addiction that really my husband only knows about.  In fact I have enticed him into my addiction  a few times.  The place I buy my drug of choice has been out of them for almost two months. I found myself looking for an excuse to go to this one store to see if they had gotten more but so far none have shown up.  I have tried other products similar to them but they do not cut the craving I have.  

I know a little about addictions because for  20 years I smoked heavily.  I got saved  Oct. of 1980 and the Spirit of God begin to convict me of smoking. It was so hard to quit or I should say, try to quit. I would decide today is the day that what ever I had left in the pack I would throw away only to find myself hours later digging through the garbage trying to find at least one that was not coffee soaked. It went on that way for about a month and finally I totally laid them down. Then the full blown withdrawal started. My head hurt, my nerves was shot, I could not sleep and I was worried I would not be able to make it through Christmas with our family who all  smoked.   The withdrawals do subside  and about a month later it was gone but then I had to face the time with family.  By the grace of God I was able to make it through the first holiday gathering without smoking. Never smoked again. 

Another addiction I had was Pepsi, drank it every day, a lot everyday.  Then I started getting kidney stones and guess what the doctors told me to give up?  Of course it was Pepsi, soda is filled with acid.  Gave up coffee too, another addiction.  

I am a stress eater and we all know there is no getting away from stress.  My extrovert personality brings stress on myself at times by me over doing.  For years I used Lays potatoes as another  drug of choice.  I had a dear friend who knew how much I loved Lays chips so she send me two bags when we lived in Papua New Guinea.  She bought a hard plastic container to put them in so they would not get crushed and they made it half way around the world to my house sitting on the ocean with jungle all around me.   Never has anything tasted as good as those chip when I opened them. I shared one bag and ate the other all by myself.  I finally broke myself of eating them everyday and hardly buy them now.  Living in a 5th world country will break a lot of bad habits.  

Some of you know I had double bypass surgery two years ago.  In fact I had three blocked arteries but the one in the back of my heart they could not get a bypass sewed onto it, so there it sits, inside my heart all clogged up.  You would think knowing that I would not be prone to anything that would hurt my health.  Yet this one little item has captured my taste buds.   If only I could continue with my addiction and not harm myself I would, that's how good it taste.


Food is my drug of choice,  not just any food , but sugar, specificity chocolate, more specificity, Walmart brand, Great Value Chocolate covered peanut butter cookies.  When they were in stock I would buy four or five packs so I would not run out.  Of course I used the excuse I would use them for snack for my bible study or share with my Grandchildren.  Yeah sure.  Step one has been admitting I am addicted. Step two is breaking it.  So I have been doing some research. 

In my quest to get rid of my sugar addiction I came across a quiz to see if I really was addicted to sugar.  I failed it.

Then this morning in my devotions I read this:  With out the rescue of God's grace, we are all wise fools heading for danger we simple don't see.  So we eat more than we should while denying the physical, empirical evidence of our foolishness.  We spend ourselves into hopeless debt and are surprised when we can no longer pay our bills.  We live selfishly and judgmentally in relationship and then wonder why so much tension and distance exist between us.  That's why Paul says, "For the foolishness of God is wiser than men and the weakness of God is stronger than men" (I Cor. 1:25). Paul is saying that if it were possible for God to be foolish, His most foolish moment would be infinitely wiser than our most wisest moment.  How humbling!  Paul Tripp Like I said, I have taken step one, admitting I am addicted to those little round chocolate filled peanut butter cookies.  Some say it's not good to "cold turkey" quit something that is bad for us.  So I am going to try limiting myself to two little cookies a day, which I just had with my tea. 

What do you think, cold turkey, limitation, eat apples and oranges instead?  What has worked for you in the past?
































6 comments:

  1. I really appreciate your being up front and honest about the power of addiction, Betty. I don't think there is a one of us who doesn't struggle with one in some form or another. I think it's best to cut back, not cut out, things we consume for pleasure, unless the doctor tells us otherwise. We are meant to live abundant lives, not joyless ones.
    Also, my friend, I sent you another email today regarding an address correction. The P.O. won't send the books I have ready to go to the address you sent me. As soon as I hear from you, they'll be in the mail!
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Martha for your insight, I agree with you. The cigarettes had to be cold turkey but I think food must be consumed in moderation with wisdom.
    I will get right to the address issue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Addiction?Who has a cycling addiction? Who has an ice cream addiction? Surely not me!!!!! I think we all have those areas where we struggle. There are some things to quit cold turkey, but i do agree with Martha. Moderation...unless doctor says, "Nope." Years ago I gave up eating beef. It was self-imposed due to cholesterol. A year later I ate a hamburger Jo made and got sick. It wasn't for another 15 years or so until I ate beef again. I now eat it in very slim moderation. Like maybe once or twice this year. I gave up chips for 7 years because I couldn't stop eating them and all my cycling was for naught. I now eat them in moderation. Smoking or drinking (neither of which I have ever done) has never been a temptation. But cycling, exercise, and ice cream...now you've gone to meddling. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I figure I would hit a nerve with this post because we are all creatures of the same design. Which is exactly why God had to address the moderation issue. It falls in that, "self control" category. We have family who are addicted to some "real drug" as some call them. I know someone right now who is addicted to shopping big time. I try not to use, "there are worst things" then my cookies to be addicted to then I remember, what so ever you eat or drink do unto the Lord and since my body houses one of the trinity that makes me want to practice self control. Blessings brother, thanks for the imput.

      Delete
  4. I love this post, Betty! So very honest and refreshing. I'm guessing most all of us are addicted to something, we're just not wise enough to admit it or even discern its hold over us. Thank you for going there.

    He is able, isn't He ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Remember the old Lay's potato chips commercial saying, "bet you can't eat just one"? That is where I am with these cookies...well that is true of the cookies too. Since I know myself in this area of food I am gonna have to just not buy them, don't go down the cookie isle at the store. Eating just one or two a day is not working. Sugar addiction is powerful and makes my heart hurt for those who are addicted to hard drugs. I could judge their weakness as worst but truth is anything that controls my mind buy Him is bad for me. My prayer for the second year in a role has been, take me deep Lord, take me deep...He is faithful. Thanks Linda for your encouragement on this post. When I wrote it I almost did not post it because the enemy of my soul said, that is not very spiritual, cookies...silly things to write about but it encouraged me to get it out of my heart. Blessings my friend.

    ReplyDelete