Follow by Email

Tuesday, October 14, 2014

After Thoughts

   af
Hindsight will turn into insight when God is in the picture.  As I look back to months ago when I first started studying for the ladies retreat then look at the pile of notes taken I am amazed at how God whittled down, changed and brought focus to what He wanted me to say.

For those who prayed for me, it was nothing short of a miracle that as I spoke I did not cough once and my voice according to those ladies did not sound raspy.  I felt the power of everyone praying all through my body...there was strength in my spirit.

After three session on being  wise  hearted God helped me bring it to a close with these three points that keeps us from being courageous wise hearted women of faith.

1. Full garage, empty soul.  Materialism conditions our soul to play life very safe and be  selfish.  By contrast, courage requires us to be thankful and not trust our stuff here on earth.   Jesus warned against materialism...a life comprised of a full garage but with an empty trivial souls.

2. Cynicism drains our lives of hope, optimism and creatively..raw material that help build our foundation of courage.  The ability to always see the worst in people and situations is often a hiding place for fear, timidity and indifference. It allows us to be invulnerable observers rather than participants in stepping out in faith  which could result in sacrificing.  Worse, the cynic often justifies his lack of redemptive and courageous action. Ultimately, cynicism is the language of self preservation, which drains us of courage and shrivels our soul

3.  But the one that robs us most of courage is fear.  Fear is destructive and irrational. For example, some people possess a destructive pre-occupation with what others think about them--what the Bible calls part of the "fear of man", that cause them to betray their values and integrity .  They have the disease to please man instead of God. 

We all face a staggering array of "what if". What if I get cancer, what if my spouse dies, what if my husband never loves me, what if my child never believe in Jesus, and the list could go on and on.

The uncomfortable truth is, any of those things could happen.  No one is free from tragedy and pain. There are no guarantees of an easy life.  For any of us, Ever.

What steal courage from you, materialism, cynicism or just plain fear?