Monday, September 10, 2012

Parasites and Krispy Kreme Donuts

The Anopheles mosquito (picture) abdomen is full of blood that will nourish her eggs, the female takes to the air.  Her next landing may be a dangerous one...for the human who receives her bite.  The female Anopheles mosquito is the only insect capable of carrying the human malaria parasite.  The parasite then travels to the liver---where they can lay dormant for as long as a year or up to even five years.   When the parasite mature, they leave the liver and infect your red blood cells. This is when the person typically develops malaria symptoms.  If an uninfected mosquito bites you at this point in the cycle, it will become infected with your malaria parasites and can be spread to the next person it bites. It's such a tiny little insect...but it carries a deadly disease if not treated.
 
Sometimes before Sept 2011 an Anopheles mosquito  bit my husband so not only did  we pack our few belongings and head back to the US but unbeknown  to Ace his liver was packing this parasites just waiting to release in his blood stream.  The last week of August 2012, one year later he begin to get sick, thinking he was just run down.. Very soon he was so weak he could not stay awake,  having shakes and  fevers  till  it spiked dangerously high so to the  emergency room we went.  We  both thought this might be malaria but the medical staff did not think so even though his spleen was enlarged and white and red blood cell way down.  They admitted him thinking he might have West Nile virus.  Test after test was ran, strong antibiotic were given but still his fever and chills were becoming worst and worst to the  point he shook the hospital bed till they could hear it in the hall.   After three days the blood work came back positive for malaria.  Finally they started treating him with an eradication treatment to kill the parasites in his liver and spleen.  He now is home resting, still on medication for another 7 days. 
 
I had lots of time to pray and think about how is God going to get glory out of this.  We both got to witness to a lot of curious nurses and doctors who took care of him who wanted to know  where he had lived to get malaria and why would we live there?  Once again we realized these are temporary bodies we walk around it.   Makes one want to enjoy every moment God gives us.

A friend wrote this to me during this latest trial. " During a test" the Teacher is always silent".  So if you are going through a stretch of time and you feel God is silent maybe it is a test you have to pass.   We have had those trials when we thought we were not hearing from God but this one was different.  God calmed my anxious heart as I sit in that isolation room praying my husband would get well.   
 
The calmness helped me as I  search the Internet for information which brought this thought. Sin was like a parasite.   It starts as a thought, which we put aside thinking it is dormant till something, another thought, something we see, read or touch and then it explodes, taking over our senses and renders us helpless and we can even infect others when sin is reigning in us.   An alcoholic never thought they would become one with the first drink or even the second nor third one.  Sin grows as it get fed like a parasite does on our blood.  Parasites can kill unless treated. 
   
James 1:13-15
13 When tempted, no one should say, "God is tempting me." For God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does he tempt anyone; 14 but each one is tempted when, by his own evil desire, he is dragged away and enticed. 15 Then, after desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, gives birth to death.

 How grateful I am that God has put the prescription for our sin in I John 1:8-9 If we say that we have no sin, we are deceiving ourselves and the truth is not in us.  He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all un righteousness.

Here comes the Krispy Kreme donut part.  Daily I would get some breakfast in the hospital cafe.  The first day I seen these wonderful looking chocolate covered donuts, tried one, it was so good I had another before I left.  Next morning, another donut and next morning one again.  The lady who checked me out commenting that she was glad I found their donuts good, she said they are Krispy Kreme,  my absolute favorite.   Those donuts were not from the Lord, He would not tempt me.  They were my parasite (food) which is what I usually turn to during times of stress.   I could eat them every morning, probably more then one.  Through the years I have given up lots of different food items that are not healthy for me but this lesson was how easily I was enticed back into gobbling a few donuts down.  To me they were like strong drink is to an alcoholic.  
I even said to Ace when he got to where he could eat, honey they have donuts in the cafe, you want one?  Thank God he said no, and finished eating his healthy heart breakfast.  I felt a little like Eve in the garden, come on honey, just a bite!!!!!! 

I don't know what your parasite is but I know one of mine is foods that is not healthy for me.  The enemy of my soul wants me weak, malnourished with a cloudy mind so he can continue to tempt me over and over.  The only way I have found that works good for me is to flee from the sin if possible.  It was possible, I did not go to the cafe again for breakfast.  I was tempted but the thought of that donut being a parasite helped me to resist.   

James 1:2-4 Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.

                                        DO YOU HAVE A PARASITE?????