Friday, March 1, 2013

Below the Surface



Of course I love anything to do with missions but this clip made me think about the beliefs of  many people here in the developed country of America.  Often I have heard the phrase, "oh I hope I am going to heaven."  Or, "I think I have done enough good to make it to heaven."   Those words make me want to dig a little deeper into their foundational beliefs.  The better we understand what a person believes, we also gain an understanding into why they do what they do. 

I have said this before but it is worth repeating...without a firm foundation built on the Word of God, anything else is built on sand and will crumble easily.  There are certain groups that would say, leave those people in their natural beliefs but these care nothing for the souls of people or for that matter their daily lives of slavery to fear of their dead ancestral spirits. 

Ace and I have been in this village, it's the one with the postage stamp airstrip that has a take off like a roller coaster ride.  These three families have worked as a team under physically, emotional and spiritual hardship to bring the whole pure truth of God.  I was challenged to take time and build a relationship with people aound so they would let me below their surface.  It is there the issue of their beliefs live.  

I have had to make a cross of two logs, and lie down on it, to show the Indians what it means to crucify a man.  Jim Elliot
    

Most of us will not reach a village at a time but is there one or maybe two God has brought into your life and encouraged you to get, "below their surface"? 


15 comments:

  1. I love this idea of getting below the surface, Betty. And I love your story, too. It's so powerful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea of getting below the surface, Betty. And I love your story, too. It's so powerful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Melanie for stopping by. So glad you enjoyed the clip...I love the fact God is everyone at once working on hearts to come to Him. Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  4. What wonderful hearts those in the video along with you and Ace have for all of God's people. I'm with you, Betty; I don't see a big difference in those people in the video and the lost people here. They both worship or put faith in things other than God and through His son Jesus Christ. Our job where ever we are is to care below the surface, because our Father cares below the surface... all the way down to their soul. Excellent heart, post, and reminder of our purpose here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Floyd for seeing my heart in this post. I do believe it is more of a challenge to see below the surface in the states. There is a young woman I met through my son who I have befriended. She just had a baby, not married and I am praying when I meet with her next I can take our friendship one step deeper. Now that she has a wee one to care for I am sure she is facing fears never faced before. It usually takes about 5-10 years before a tribal work has believers...I just need to be patience with my relationships here. Blessings brother.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A very true and much needed challenge indeed.

    I wish that Christians including will rise above their comfort zones (and it includes me). Timidity is a battle thrown over to the enemy. I am a little timid sometimes but when the Holy Spirit nudges, I go for it.

    It is hard work because it doesn't end in them praying the sinners prayer but walking with the new convert to maturity.

    Thanks for this, Betty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lolita...bless you my sister...let me know when you get the little gift I sent to you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Getting to really know a person does take time, and below the surface is where their innermost thoughts, and dreams lay. Thank you for sharing at "Tell Me a Story."

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loved this post! And I wanted to thank you for coming by my place and leaving such a sweet message, thank you!
    I'm so glad you came so I could come here to find you :)
    Blessings~

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kristin...I thought you might like my post. I hear you sister about the ups and downs of ministry. Your faithfulness is what God will use. Those you touch might not be touched without you. There is so many hurting, needing just a hug, a prayer, a handshake and the love of Jesus in their face. Thats what the cross did, put His love out there for everyone to see. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Betty! So nice to hear from you. Thank you for the encouragement, it was appreciated! Kudos to you and your husband for giving your lives to the furthering of the Gospel. I want to do the same....We aren't related to any Shorts in Fairfield, lots and lots in Norris City, but that's about it :-) Thanks again! Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Abbie, thanks for stopping by, enjoyed your blog greatly. Will be praying for you as you stand for the Lord. Sounds like your church has a great ministry. Blessing my sister.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love it when God reinforces a truth in our lives. I will be giving a missions lesson Sunday night about "relational missions" - just the thoughts you expressed! I hope you don't mind that I share some of your post with our group! It fits!

    ReplyDelete
  14. thanks for stopping by Glenda. Please use anything from my blog.Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  15. thanks for stopping by Glenda. Please use anything from my blog.Blessings

    ReplyDelete