Tuesday, January 27, 2015

I Lost It All to Find Everything [Live]

Chapter one of Mary Demuth book, Everything,  had this great quote in it, "We are small, He is big.  And yet He sees.  That should spur us toward crazy growth, rugged trust, and reverential awe. ("what a way to start  a book on Him being everything". )  Psalm 8:3-


Chapter two, my favorite quote:  The gospel of Jesus Christ, should be both simple and profound.  Simple  in its beauty, but profound in the life change it should bring.  Roman 1:16

Chapter three caused me to park in this quote:  Although it's not wrong to live self-controlled lives in terms of celebrating discipline and working hard, we will not be able to sustain our Christian lives if lived them entirely in our own strength. John 15:4-5

Chapter four had this stunning question: Why do people change?  Because they want to.  Because they're inspired by the Holy Spirit to do so. Not because they are coerced, guilted or forced. ( This one was important for me because I am trusting God for a family member that I have tried to help without any result, EXCEPT, frustration on my part). Gal. 1:10




 Chapter five title is, Set Aside Worry:  The one great crime on the part of the disciple, according to Jesus Christ, is worry.  Whenever we begin to calculate without God, we commit sin.  What would our lives look like if we refuse to worry?  (convicting question, don't you think?) Phil. 4:6





 Chapter six brings resilience to the fore front:  Resilience is an ability to recover from or adjust easily to misfortunes or change. ( notice that word I put in red...it takes practice and practice and more practice  to do anything with ease.   Let me add a quote:  The truth is, God puts us through more than we can bear. He does.  Why?  Because,  after we journey through those hard places, we learn resilience and resilience brings the ability to joyfully live in the moment despite our circumstances, a holy paradox, Mary Demuth writes. Jeremiah 29:11




This is not an official book review, just my review for my sake.  But if you want a book that goes deep...this will do that, down where no one but God can see. And I have only touched the surface of what lies within the pages of the first section.




                      


A review from Michael Hyatt, former CEO of Thomas Nelson Publishers on Mary's book, says this:  "Lets be honest.  Most of us who follow Christ are holding back.  We want Christ but are convinced we'll miss something if we surrender everything."


I know the proper way to end a post is to ask a question,  but I think I will let this one stand alone without a question and see what come forth. 





No comments:

Post a Comment