Wednesday, March 27, 2013

A "Wick"

Jesus said in John 5:35 He (John the Baptist) He was a burning and shining light: and ye were willing for a season to rejoice in his light.     (Without a wick a lamp or candle cannot give light )

                             
  
 Last weekend we heard a great message on John the Baptist.  John who was called a "wick" whose purpose was to be used up as a shining light for Jesus.  Plain and simple John life was not all about himself.   Not only did he carry the message, he was a part of Jesus influence in the world, the message owned him.  It drove him to risk all to get the message out to a lost and dying world.  John the Baptist was sacrificial in his role. The notion of self-sacrifice or self-forgetfulness, doesn't often play well in a culture like ours.  He not only lived a peculiar life but spoke words boldly to all around him.   Which is exactly why the queen hated him so she ask the King through her daughter for his head.  A "wick" cannot light itself, a match must be struck and put to the wick for light.  The moment we become believers God light our wicks.   Hide it under a bushel, no, I'm gonna let it shine.

This got me to thinking how much brighter this world would be if saints of God obeyed the Lord and tell the sweet sweet story with boldness such as John.  We can be  bold telling someone which sport team we like, or about the latest movie or which political party we are a part of.    But words about those issue do not bring about a changed life.

Just a few more days Easter will be celebrated. Churches will be full of "wicks,"   John the Baptist time is over, NOW IS OUR TIME to be obedience so the world will see His light in us, by our action and our words telling the gospel to all who will listen.

                                                         
 
NOW IS OUR TIME 

18 comments:

  1. Amen!
    Obedience...seems like it should be so easy to do...but it's not.
    We expect our kids to obey us and yet we don't obey our Heavenly Father. What role models we've become.
    God is very clear in His Word, we are with Him or against Him. NO. Middle. Ground.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks TC for reading my post. I just changed a few word so not to confuse. We are saved by faith and God lights our wick when we believe. But I can tell I did not confuse you at all sister, again thanks for the encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well said Betty. John's time is over. Now it is time for the King. Sadly, he knew it, but I'm afraid we don't always.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Bill for you comment. One of your post actually encouraged me to write this. Blessings brother.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am not worthy to even untie his shoe lace. I wonder if John desired to wash the feet of Jesus.
    very enlighting thoughts of wisdom in this message. Thanks for your comments at my post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Hazel, neither am I...so thankful He is worthy to worship. Thanks for commenting. I loved your post...brought back some memories and the things we are a little wiser in because of the hard times. Blessings sister.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Betty, you and I have similar stories. My heart was empty for 32 years until The Holy Spirit filled it with Love for Jesus. God is so good! Be blessed, fellow servant.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Elaine, thanks for taking the time for visiting my blog. I love meeting new sisters in the Lord through the blogs. Always encouraging to see how God brings us together to encouraged each other. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love how you brought out this about John the Baptist. How thankful I am that there are more "lights" in this world than what the media wants us to believe and that His light is shining in such a dark world. God so blesses!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are a beautiful light shining for Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Deby for stopping on my blog. It was encouraging to read your testemony. This little light of mine I'm gonna let it shine...wonderful to be able to sing that simple little song about the light of the world. Happy Easter

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Deby for stopping on my blog. It was encouraging to read your testemony. This little light of mine I'm gonna let it shine...wonderful to be able to sing that simple little song about the light of the world. Happy Easter

    ReplyDelete
  13. Donna, thanks for coming by my site. I don't write every day, just when the Spirit moves me. and I love blog hopping for encouragement from those more mature then I am. Loved your post on the palm tree...well thought out post. Happy Easter

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great analogy. I love the children's song - this little light of mine. And you are right if we could all shine - wouldn't that be wonderful.
    Working on it. And looking for where God is working and following His lead.
    Blessings,
    Janis www.janiscox.com
    found you on Playdates.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks Janis for stopping by. Pray your Easter is happy. Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've never thought of us as being wicks, but what a wonderful metaphor! Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, I appreciate how you said that a wick cannot light itself. Also your comments about boldness. So much excellent material to think about.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I can't believe I missed this post... The world and our society tells us that we're the center of the universe, it's all about us... a sure way to keep us in slavery to our flesh which is controlled by the enemy.

    Throughout history the world, Christian and secular have celebrated and continue to celebrate the great lives of Christians who denied themselves and God used them to change the world. But for us we know it doesn't end here, this is just where it starts...

    Great message, Betty. We are called to be the truth and light to the world in humility. We don't need to be first or win... Our Father has already done that for us through His son...

    ReplyDelete