Monday, May 2, 2022

Another Life to Give

I am sitting in my warm cabin in Northern Minnesota, watching another blizzard drop a few more inches of snow as I search through my pictures for this one on the left.  

God has given us the privilege of living in several place but none so different than the 2nd biggest island in the world, Papua New Guinea and now northern Minnesota. 

In Papua we lived right on the Bismark sea, on the equator which produces hot steamy and often times rainy weather.  Perfect place for insets   to grow which as soon as the sun goes down they begin to make their  noises.  You would think something so small could not make much noise but you get couple million doing what ever they do to make noise it can be deafening and made me never want to walk into the jungle at night,  and to be honest not even in the day time.  At night you had to sleep under a net to keep them off of you.

We came back to states in 2011 to take up the role of Member Care reps for the mission we serve with, Ethnos360. We are getting older by the day so we had to start thinking and doing something about who will care for us when we need help.  Thats how we landed in Mn.  right across the driveway from our daughter and family. 

Back to Papua and the heat. I struggle bad with heat rash for the first year almost and finally we put a small air con in our bedroom.  Between several showers a day and the air con at night my rash finally went away.  I was determined to not give up for I knew God wanted us there.  

Now in Mn. the discomfort is cold, and snow, brutal winters that keep one my age, 75, in the house day after day.  In Papua, even with an air con the weather made you want to be outside with the people, learning about their life. it was a primitive place compared to Bolivia, SA where we served first. 

Two different cultures, but the heart is the same and it act out the things of the heart in whatever culture you live in.   Evil comes out of every heart in everyplace all over the world.  Thank God, good come out too.  And a heart with Jesus living in it will strive to be like Jesus no matter where they live.  That heart will love beyond measure, forgive what ever, go that extra mile for others, give all they got to make sure others hear about the saving grace of Jesus.   

Ever thought about serving God overseas?  When that question was presented to us we were in our 40's and we took a huge leap of faith and enter mission training.  My sweet Mom was upset we were taking her Grandchildren away.  She would say to me, Betty Jo, there are lost people right here in the United States, why would you want to go overseas?  I would come back with, you are right Mom, there is also a church on every corner to get the gospel out but not in the places we and others were going to.  No bibles in the language they speak at home, most could not even read or write in their heart language. The task seemed impossible but we knew God wanted us involved beyond giving for others to go. We were in our middle 50th when we went to Papua.  

My husband and I have had a wide world of experiences and each one has taught us so many truths about people, God, life in general.  We always say, if we had another life to live, we would do it again.  



Our support center in Papua New Guinea.  



                                                          Our front yard in Mn. 



8 comments:

  1. I have never served overseas but have always respected those who do and have. You and Ace have my utmost respect Betty. But you both are living proof that God uses wherever He puts you-heat or cold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I respect pastors and their families. I have met a few who should not be one and they are miserable people and make those around them the same way. But I have met many who walk with God and help others. We have a great pastor now, not perfect but he can surely bring light to the Word of God. My husband never wanted to be a pastor as he prefers to be in the background. He is a good man for a pastor, an extended arm for him. As frustrated as I get from being shut in from the weather here, I get just as excited over how God is using us here. Ace meets with a group of men on a weekly bases, I am doing a bible study. One of my favorite quotes is, Life is in Christ, and God reminds me of it often. Blessing brother.

      Delete
  2. Like Bill, Betty, I so respect all the years of service you and your husband, Ace, gave overseas for the spreading of God's kingdom. It takes very special, committed people to leave everything behind and go to a strange country in the name of Jesus.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Martha for your sweet encouraging comment. We have never counted ourselves as special but just a child of God that wanted to serve Him and was willing to do whatever and where ever. He certainly has put us to the test on that desire. Blessings my sister in the Lord.

      Delete
  3. Thank you for your commitment to serve the Lord in any weather and culture. There is much work still to be done throughout the world, and we certainly can serve God wherever He leads us. We prayed about going into the mission field when our family was young. We did a lot of paperwork and had interviews, etc., but when the time came to go or stay, God clearly told us to stay and serve Him here in the states, so we did serve in the Pastoral ministry for many years. It was not an easy job by any means and we still had to take our children away from their grandparents to live in the far north and cold , but God always blessed our family in ways we cannot measure. We are thankful for His call on our lives and now that we are retired in our home state of Florida, there is still work to be done. My hubby leads a men's Bible/discipleship study also and teaches our adult Sunday School class. I attend the ladies' Bible Study and participate in different ministries within the church. Yes, no matter how old we are and what climate we might be in there is always a ministry to be found if we seek God's leading and trust Him to put us where we belong. I enjoyed your post and am so glad God is blessing your life in your new home and community. It seems as though servants of the Lord never do really retire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pamela for giving me some of your testimony. Without Pastors and other ministry workers challenging those around them concerning telling the whole world about Jesus there would be few missionaries. Thank you for your and your families part in it.

      Delete
  4. Dear Betty! This touched my heart so much today! It also encouraged me in some current battles I am facing. I am blessed to know that God called you to do this in your 50's. Sometimes the enemy can make us feel so washed up and jaded and like God is finished using us. It can be so discouraging. And, yet just this week, He has taken me to a Bible study where I learned that Clara Barton was in her 60's when God called her to start the Red Cross (she then went on to lead it for 23 years!), He reminded me that Moses was 80 when He called him to lead His people out of Egypt, and now I learn that you were in your 50's when you went on the mission field. I love how the Lord will allow us to have things come across our path repeatedly when He is wanting to drive home a point to us. Your life, the interview you did with me, your blog, learning more about you - it is all a very big encouragement and boost to me. I see a quality of honesty and authenticity and fervency in your walk with the Lord each time I learn something else about you. It is very encouraging to me right now, as I sometimes feel like it is so hard to find these qualities in our modern, irreverent, spiritually lethargic world. Thank you, Betty, for your faithfulness to God. I hope you never feel, at 75, that you are no longer being used by God. Your influence goes out way farther than you may even realize. Wish I could give you a big hug. God bless you always, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl, I could say all the same to you about you. From your blog I met a woman who loves the Lord, her family and others. This getting older business is getting old and really discouraging at times. your words prove God is not through with us as we age. In fact its the same voice of the devil that tries to get us to do nothing for the Lord when we were young. Our part is coming to terms with the limitations that do come to us as aging sets in. We struggle with not being able to serve overseas. Getting older just means we do have a different life to give, one that looks different than it did when we were younger. Life in Christ is for eternity and I am bolder and braver because of my age, 75 and expect whatever situation I am in that He will open a door and I say to the devil, get out of my way I am going through it. Every doctors appointment, which are plenty for me now I just know He will use me. He came to seek lost and they are everywhere. He continues to use me, I teach a bible study, I sing once in a while, I mentor women, I love on anyone kids, I love on my family harder, I lean into getting to know Him deeper. Actually aging brings a peace that show in my life to all who know me. I fear less, worry less, I am at ease with my day, be it busy or filled with trouble. I was just telling the Lord if you would give me lots of money I would share it but then we already do that with little money. For me basking in the love of Christ for me who fails still is the best things to do at my age, I have more time for doing that. I don't sweat the failures at this point of my walk with Him for I know, I know, I know He never stops loving me when I fail to put something in my mind that is not honoring. There is an ease that comes with aging because I know my life here will end but because of Him will eternally take over. I use to fear how I would die but I dropped that fear when we ladies studied Hebrews and I realize God will be there for me as I crossover as they say. I have ask Him to give me peace of heart and He has. He did promise another life to give...it starts at death. While here though I am gonna make it count as best I can. Thank you for your sweet encouragement, they cause my words just written to come forth and reminds me He is still working on me and that should be the focus of my heart and not what I do or don't do, or can't do anymore. Your words prove how much we need each other. Blessings.

      Delete