Monday, June 13, 2022

Control

 

There is something wonderful in letting go.  A. W. Tozer called it being released from "the fine threads of the self life, the hyphenated sins of the human spirit, "self sufficiency, self pity, self absorption and self hatred. Letting go means "freedom from the everlasting burden of always having to get our own way." Having to stay in control, to get it own own , is indeed an everlasting burden.  

The above quote is from the book, Strong Women, Soft Hearts by Paula Rinehart. A few ladies and I are going to study through this book that I did about 10 years ago.  It's good to re-read a book that helped me to see how far I have come on this issue of control or trusting God.  

As I look back on my life I can clearly see the lies I so easily believed of how I need control of my life and how that lie caused me to have a hard heart.  First of all, one can never get enough control of life because we do not know what will come next for us.  Life in the world brings so much hardship and pain.  Yet, this is exactly where God wants to work on my heart, right in the middle of a heartache, a worry, an event that takes me out of my comfort zone.  

Re-reading revealed several truths to me, God never stops working on me no matter how many times I fail. It's never a new truth He wants me to learn, He only wants me to go deeper so I can see clearly how me controlling my life will not bring peace to my heart.  Also how deeply the lie has roots in my heart. 

Re-reading reminds me how weak I am and how much God loves me, a truth He wants me to live in daily.  When I rest in His love for me my control loosen it's grip on my heart. My heart becomes more teachable and it's then He is able to show me the goodness of His love.  

I need reminding often that as much as I think I know better for my life, I know nothing but He knows everything, the past, present and future.  The biggest lie we believe is the same one Adam and Eve fell for and the tool satan used is pride to put into action the lie. Pride says I know best what I need.  It shouts my way is more important then God's.  Pride tells us, God if you will just give me what I want I will be happy, I will have peace.  Pride craves all the wrong things, it craves the opposite of what God knows we need to become more like Him. Pride will cause us to blame anything but us for our hard heart.  

At 75 I am still learning this truth to trust God in all things.  Hindsight makes me glad for the hard times,  for it was in those times I went seeking outside myself to His ways for my life. The pain and suffering that has come my way has only driven the truths about control inward and He used it as a tool to soften me.  

Got a good book God brought you way to teach you about Him, its could be calling you for a re-read.    

5 comments:

  1. You are right -- it's interesting to pick up a book we read years ago to see if we applied the lessons correctly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. God used this book filled with wisdom on how to walk with the Savior, it helped me 10 years ago and still helping.

      Delete
  2. Wow, Wise-hearted Betty! I am going through the same exact thing. He is showing me the lies I've believed about myself over all my years. Not only that I believed them, but I would speak them and they have kept me bound. Wow! Abba has been setting me free! Hallelujah! I love you and appreciate your transparency, my friend. Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sent one of the books to a family member who I was not sure if she would read it or not. I just said, because I love you. Praising the Lord that she will grab some truth and grow a little bit more. Blessings my friend. I am also finished with a book about emotional eating that has been such a help to me. I am a junk food person and use food as my tool to calm me, give me joy, for stress, all the reason that are a lie. It's titled, Easy Way to Quit Emotional Eating by Allen Carr's. He is not a christian I think but a very wise man who hit addition right on the head. Satan lies to our minds and that is where junk food eating starts, my mind says cookies will give you comfort and before I can say cookie I am reaching for one. It was an interesting and uplifting book. Whats new in your reading list?

      Delete
  3. I could so relate to all you were saying here. Control is really just an illusion because we really can't control anything at all except our own actions, perspectives, etc. You are so right - there is such freedom and relief to be found in letting go, turning it all loose, and resting in the fact that we don't have to control anything. God bless you, dear sister.

    ReplyDelete