Sunday, March 17, 2024

Fat

 

Determining the ideal weight for older people has been somewhat of a Goldilocks pursuit, with researchers looking for what weight is not too thin, but not too fat. Studies have suggested that being slightly overweight can be protective. In theory, having a few extra pounds could be good if you, say, develop cancer and need to undergo chemotherapy, which can lead to rapid weight loss.

This morning I was challenged by the above post about getting older and losing weight. As I sit down in my chair to type this post I was relaxed, content and feeling pretty good for a 77 year old women who does not worry too much about my weight. In fact there is not much I worry about at my age. I have been skinny and it was not all its cracked up to be and I am over weight now and its not whats it cracks up to be.

Lately my husband and I have been discussing our funeral arrangements. We are totally opposite in our thinking about the whole process. Where to be buried is the top thing we discuss. We have enough insurance to bury us so that one thing off the table. I am a planner so I want to plan it now, he does not even like to talk about it.

Here is the thing, it's coming, the day is approaching fast or so it seems. Just yesterday I was 76 and now I am, of course, 77 and 78 is right around the corner. To live in the present means we must deal with our age and the ailments that come with it and maybe plan for our funerals or not. Probably will be not.

I bet you are wondering where she's going with this, two subjects, weight, and death. Let me tie it together.

 Our medical world tends to advocate staying thin and healthy of course. Healthy is hard to come by past 70, body is showing massive age-related decline. Wrinkles and lose sagging skin tell our age and even the way we carry ourselves sometimes screams that lady is old. So why am I feeling relaxed, content and feeling pretty good with my extra body weight? We heard an undertaker say that he buried very few old fat people. I think I will stay in the overweight, not skinny or even lean as I head toward 78.

Hey, that tied up pretty good, don't you think?

I really wish we could live as old as they did in the Old Testament.

Does it bother you to talk about your funeral which mean you have to take about death?

2 comments:

  1. I don't worry about it and whatever my family decides to do with me is fine. I'll be up in glory and not the least bit concerned about what to do with my remains. However, we do have a "plan", sort of. Not sure about the money part, however. They may have to sell something first. LOL. Anyway, you are right, we should at least make plans to ease the burden for our family. However, I do NOT wish to live as old as Methuselah! I'd much rather be in heaven than here on earth for 900 years or whatever age he was! LOL. And truly, getting old is not for sissies, that's for sure! This old body is wearing out and I will be quite happy to exchange for a brand new body that cannot be corrupted. The best is yet to come! Have a blessed and wonderful rest of your week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so agree the best is yet to come. I think what makes me want to live longer is I have family and friends who are lost. thanks for commenting on my post Pamela. Blessings

      Delete