Saturday, October 2, 2021

Promise


What the dictionary says a promise is:

  • promise (noun) a verbal commitment by one person to another agreeing to do (or not to do) something in the future
  • promise, hope (verb) grounds for feeling hopeful about the future “there is little or no promise that he will recover”

It would be easier to write about the promises made to me that have been broken. But I cannot do that without thinking about the promises I have made and did not keep.

Matthew 5:33-37 –  “Again, you have heard that it was said to the people long ago, ‘Do not break your oath, but fulfill to the Lord the vows you have made.’ 34 But I tell you, do not swear an oath at all: either by heaven, for it is God’s throne; 35 or by the earth, for it is his footstool; or by Jerusalem, for it is the city of the Great King. 36 And do not swear by your head, for you cannot make even one hair white or black. 37 All you need to say is simply ‘Yes’ or ‘No’; anything beyond this comes from the evil one.

First, promising something an not coming through with it hurts relationships. When we don’t keep our promises it destroys trust and trust is what healthy relationships are built upon
Honesty helps us grow in our relationships with Christ and with others
Eph. 4:15 – Instead, speaking the truth in love, we will grow to become in every respect the mature body of him who is the head, that is, Christ.

I read this today and conviction sliced to the core of my heart. Because Christ lives in me, I want to be known as a person who keeps her promises and does not lie.

Ask yourself these questions:

“Who has not been startled to hear yourself say something that is an exaggeration without even thinking about it. It is not that you began the conversation with the intention of saying something that was not quite true, but before you knew it you found yourself embellishing a story.

Are you honest about your age?
Have you been thoroughly honest with your taxes?
Have you ever been dishonest about the time you claimed you worked, or not given an honest day’s work for an honest day’s wage?
Have you ever cheated on a test?
Have you ever lied to get out of trouble?
Have you ever complimented someone when you didn’t mean it?
Have you ever kept silent when you should have told the truth?
Made yourself appear better than you are?
Lied to gain an advantage or get your way?
Misled someone to save face?”

Eph. 4:25 – Therefore each of you must put off falsehood and speak truthfully to his neighbor…)

Knowing I have failed at times to be honest, and true to my word makes me grateful for His grace. He makes it possible to not live under condemnation through the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus, His Son. He died for the times I fail to keep my promise and gives me chance after chance to right it and try again.

Let me close with two quotes that I think are profound.

No legacy is so rich as honesty.” – William Shakespeare

“Honesty is the first chapter in the book of wisdom.” – Thomas Jefferson

7 comments:

  1. Wow, these are some eye opening thought provokers on this early Sunday morning. Sometimes we just need to be reminded of how important it is to keep our promises, especially in our relationship with Christ. I am afraid I fall short way too often, no matter how good my intentions are. That list of questions kind of has me researching my heart to remember if I've done any of the above lately. I'm sure I have over the years, probably more so as a young person. Hopefully as I have gotten older, I have grown in wisdom and maturity, but there are still times that it is tempting to give in to some of those little temptations that could lead us down the wrong path if we don't catch ourselves before we take that first step. Thank you for this reminder today. It is a sobering way to wake up, but it is a good wake-up call. Blessings to you today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here Pamela, I have good intentions but good intentions will not hold up in the face of truth. Like I told Martha, I love to encourage but I have found myself encouraging too much at times. This was a new relation for me to learn. Blessings to you also.

      Delete
  2. Wasn't it Ben Franklin who said, "Honesty is the best policy"? It truly is, Betty, and I'd venture to say each one of us has failed to keep promises to one another. May God forgive us when we are anything less than honest with one another.
    Great food for thought this Sunday morning!
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember learning that over complimenting others was a trip up for lying. It's hard for us people pleasers to just stick to facts or better yet, say nothing. I am so thankful for the Holy Spirit part of the God head. Once we know the truth about an issue He is quick to reminds us so we can stay clean before God.

      Delete
  3. I have always told my girls "tell the truth" then you don't have to wonder what you said the time before. Good thoughts today Betty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Telling the truth always works best. My Dad told lies all the time and my poor Mom had to deal with people coming to her about some lie he had told them. Embarrassing.

    ReplyDelete