Monday, December 13, 2021

Assignment


“Pain insists upon being attended to. God whispers to us in our pleasures, speaks in our consciences, but shouts in our pains. It is his megaphone to rouse a deaf world.”~~C.S. Lewi(my facebook post today)

Several commented on my post from C.S. Lewis.  The one that got my attention was from a sweet friend of mine.   She began to suffer with crippling  rheumatoid arthritis a little over two years ago after her oldest son died from a heart condition.   She went from a very active, committed Christian working mother of three, to being held captive often by her health issues on top of her grief.   Below is her comment to my post.  

Well, then, what am I missing? 

🥺 (He has been shouting for a long time, and I guess I don’t understand the assignment. 😔

 CommenWell, then, what am I missingeM

Below is my reply to her heart felt question:

When things are great one hardly ever thinks of death, but when pain comes it’s hard not to think of death. Just take the recent Covid pandemic, and how it has forced us to think of death more often. 

 We can live with our head buried in clouds until a raging storm comes then we seek shelter. Every pain we suffer is the means to draw deeper into Him, to learn of Him, the one who suffered the most pain ever for the whole world. 

Pain will mature our faith in Him or turn our focus inward.  Maturity brings courage to reach outside our self to others. Our trials and pain may be with us though out our life here on earth, but we believers know something a non-believer does not know.  We leave all our earthly suffering and pain when we leave this earthly abode.  

So, what is our assignment till then? That was Julie's question, wasn't it?  Nothing makes us question our purpose more than pain.   

Jesus used very few words when He gave it out to His followers.  Mark 16: 15 Go tell…by mouth, by social media, by whatever means is available to us. When we allow our pain to be a means to share Jesus all heaven shouts and anyone around us is helped. Does our pain decrease when we allow God to use it?  Sometimes but not always. 

 The pain is not the focus, only a tool in the hands of a loving God. 

________________________________________________________________________

Like everyone else I have had my share of pain, both physcial and emotionally.   There have been times I allowed it to make me bitter and it has left a few scars on me.  Since becoming a believer at age 35 and studying the Bible I have to come to realize God wants to use my pain.  He never promised me a life free of pain.  He doesn't want me to waste it, or drive me to into a pity party. I know people who are hard to be around due to their pain and grief and the pity party they live in.    

Self-pity is a way to escape the pain of sadness by trying to make others feel sadness for us. Chip Dodd.

How does this quote speak to your heart.? Have you been stuck in self -pity before and how did you get out of it?

8 comments:

  1. No human being ever born on earth wishes to have pain, Betty, but it is a product of this world in which we live. How we deal with it, how we let God use it for the good of others, is our choice. With God's help, we can bear it and be a witness of faith to those around us.
    So much pain in this world - let us pray for those acutely afflicted!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Almost every day a friend, close or just an acquaintance shares of them or someone they know hurting from so many areas. Sometimes, it's over whelming. Usually I just pray for them and do not ask questions, easier that way. To know the details about their pain pains me. I have realized I cannot carry their burden but I can pray for strength that they can carry it. my prayer is for their pan to draw them closer to the Lord, not that He lift their pain.

      Delete
  2. Betty, remember all that Martha suffered? (our blogging friend). I never knew anyone who suffered such physical torment...yet her life is full. Full of helping others. I draw from her inspiration. I draw from Jesus' inspiration. When I'm in pain physically or emotionally, I close my eyes and picture My Jesus hanging on His Cross. It helps put it in perspective because I tend to be drawn so inward and give in to self-pity. This is a great post! I wish you and Ace a most blessed Christmas. God bless you, my wise-hearted friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you still keep in touch with Martha? She was and still a good role model for us. I have a friend in Ky. that I am mentoring who is in constant pain from RA, she is only 50 and mostly in bed. Also her emotional pain from losing her 20 some year old son two years ago is still so raw. She has helped me with my struggles just from me helping her. She is slowly gaining more faith and seeing God in the raw places in her life. I am still going through my kidney and bladder ordeal. Actually heading out to Fargo, ND to have the present tube taken out and a stint put in. I have had to go back on daily anti-anxiety med through this ordeal. I use thankfulness for just who He is and how He gives me opportunities to witness all the time as I go from one doctor to another. I am determined to know nothing other than Christ Jesus and Him cruified for frail me and let that be my lead into witnessing. Blessing to you and Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with Martha. No one wants pain, but we all get it. I remember a quote I sometimes us: "Pain is inevitable; misery is optional." My personality is not one that wallows in misery or self-pity. God has blessed me that way. I ponder; I wonder; and I say, "Okay God. What's next?" I want to use any and every opportunity as a way to tell someone about Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually am not a self pit person either but you are so right, we all have those time pain over rides everything else. I just refuse to stay in that pit very long. Ok, have a good cry and then get out and focus on His love for me. I talked to a friend the other day, she was wondering how I was doing and I told her my words to say to myself. Nothing, I mean nothing, bad or good comes to this child of God without coming through His love for me. Those thoughts make me not want to waste the trial. As I cry sometimes in pain, the Holy Spirit whispers those sweet words I tell others. He never forgets a thing. Merry Christmas to you Bill and the family

      Delete
  5. I have a very low pain tolerance and thus do not do well during those seasons when it coils around my body, whether physical or emotional. I have no choice but to lean hard into Jesus ... even as my doctor is on speed-dial!

    My goal is to be able to say, 'It is well with my soul.' And by His grace that is usually the case.

    Merry Christmas, dear Betty. I'm so grateful that God allows our paths to continue to cross. Your rich faith and tremendous life experience has often spoken into my soul. Bless you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merry Christmas to you and yours Linda. You are a wealth of wisdom and inspiration. Your goal is mine too. God does not judge us by how we handle the pain when it hits full force, but he does builds are faith and courage in it. I had my third procedure Thursday on my kidneys and bladder. It's not my last but this only took 4 minutes after they had me laid out on the table. It was uncomfortable and I kept waiting for the pain meds to kick in, which didn't. About the time I was about to say, hey drugs please, it was over. Recovery was easier and today I still feel good. There are still future procedures to go through but am getting closer to bladder being completely healed. Again, I ask God to give boldness and by the time they took me back to my room they knew they had been working on a Child of God. Couldn't be more thankful for my time there was not wasted. Aging may bring frailer health but stronger faith.

      Delete