Sunday, October 17, 2021

The Power of One Vowel

 


"The verbs for a particular African language consistently end in one of three vowels...i, a, and u."  But the word for "love" was only found with i and a.  Why no u?"

The missionary asked the most influential community leaders.  "Could you dvi your wife?"
Yes, that would mean that the wife had been loved, but the love was gone. 

Could you dva your wife?
Yes. That kind of love depends on the wife's actions.  She would be loved as long as she remained faithful and cared for her husband well. 

Could you dvu your wife?
 Of course not!, They all laughed.  If you said that, you would have to keep loving your wife no matter what she did, even if she never got you water and never made you meals. Even if she committed adultery, you would have to just keep on loving her. No, we would never say, dvu. It just doesn't exist. 

The missionary sat quietly for a while, thinking about John 3:16, and then he asked, "Could God dvu people"?

There was complete silence for three of four minutes; then tears started to trickle down the weathered faces of the elderly men of the community. 

Finally, they responded, "Do you know what this would mean? This would mean that God kept loving us over and over, while all that time we rejected His great love. He would be compelled to love us, even though we have sinned more than any people."

Changing one vowel changed the meaning from, "I love you based on what you do and who you are" to "I love you based on who I am. I love you because of me and not because of you."

Encoded in this African language, but unused for centuries, lay a perfect picture of Christ's unconditional love.  Ethnos360

In the English language there is only one word for love.  We use it to express all kinds of things we love, I love my husband, I love potato chips, I love my cat, I love whatever.  We don't change any of the letters in the word to express our love for different things.  In almost every other language they have several word variation for love. 

One of the Hebrew words for "love" is hesed, (pronounced kheh=ed ), which is actually a difficult word to translate into English.  That is because there is a range of meaning for hesed, which means a completely undeserved kindness and generosity.  Isaiah 54:10 Though the mountains be shaken, and the hills be removed, yet my unfailing love (hesed) for will not be shaken.   Hesed is not just a feeling, but an action. It "intervenes on behalf of loved ones and comes to their rescue". 

John 3:16 For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life.  



12 comments:

  1. Interesting thoughts about the African language Betty. I liked the response the men had when it dawned on them of God's love. We should all have that response.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots of languages, especially in some of language that do not have it written have this in it. Missionaries especially in remote tribes see this a lot when the gospel is presented. I think one reason is because they are easily convicted of being a sinner. There are some great videos on line showing this kind of reaction on the Ethnos site on youtube. I think one reason we don't see it much in a first world is because people have a harder time seeing themselves as sinner. This story brings tears to my eyes because of the great love of God who would put this into languages all over the world. Pray all is well with your household.

      Delete
  2. What a difference a vowel can make! How interesting that they responded to the word for God's Love with tears and realized how deep is His love for them. yes, it is too bad we don't have different words to show the depth of our love. It has become a word that is too freely spoken and not deeply enough felt. We may need to make some adjustments to OUR language... Interesting post. Thank you for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so affected when I read this I started my bible study with it. II Cor says we are to be motivated by the love of God...not our love for Him but His love for us and this kind of thing makes the tears flow in me. The missionaries in the remote place of the world see this a lot, some language do not even have a word for love so they have to build a word from an unwritten language.

      Delete
  3. What a compelling example of how God loves us, Betty. Wow! I've often thought that as rich as the English language is, why do we not have more words/nuances for love?
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Until we went into missions I never really knew much about this kind of thing. It makes me think of the tower of Babel when God confused the language. Yet we know in every language, even the ones not yet written there is an order to them for He is a God of order. When you first go into a remote group of people you do mostly listening as they go about their everyday life. From that you begin to hear certain words for certain things. But when it comes to a belief one must go deeper into the language and find out the felt meaning of a word. Ace and I are not translators but we loved to listen to those who do translate. We are so blessed in first would countries because all of them have the Word of God translated into their language. But those 2nd to 5th world usually do not. Oh, they may have a loose translation, a trade translation that they use to batter and sell. But when it comes to spiritual meaning they will go into their heart language and there is where you find those little nuggets God has place in that language. Which is why it takes so long to learn this and then be able to give them the gospel in their heart language. I love this stuff because to me it show the riches of God's love and He did not leave any language group with a way to hear the gospel. The biggest issue is finding people who will go and learn and then teach them how to read and write their own language and teach them to read and then translate the Word. It's a process and the devil fights every phase of that process. He has one goal, keep the gospel to ourselves, do not spread it. But, our loving God knows the ones who are willing to go and yet He still gives us a choice as to our life. All He wants is for Him to be our life then we will say yes to His leading. I knew this would reach deep into hearts where the Spirit of God lives. Blessing.

      Delete
  4. This is so very powerful. By the way; My new blog is located at https://hazelirenemoon.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hazel for the update on your blog. I so appreciate your comments.

      Delete
  5. How interesting about the African language and the more words to express love! The image of the older men who realized what it means to be loved by God is so moving–that ah-ha moment delivered through story that hits the heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that ah-ah moment is when I cried as I was reading this for the first time and every time since then. The reminders of His love for mankind is where the power is to live right in this old world. Believing is love is always there give strength to live my day to the fullest without fear.

      Delete
  6. This is so beautiful, Betty. I think of you and wonder if you were able to make the connection to sing with your friends at church. I do hope you will pursue your dream and use your talents. I know it would bless many! God be with you and guide your every step.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Actually I ended up in the hospital that Sunday due to kidney failure, again. Back home now with a tube inserted in my kidney that flows into a bag outside my body. It's been a trial and half as they say but not to big for my God. I have the best care givers in the world around me, my husband and my daughter. Just keep a few prayers going up for me please.

    ReplyDelete