Monday, January 9, 2023

EASY

 



I finished 2022 with a sigh.., glad that year is over only to have the, wait a minute thoughts come speeding into my mind. For me, 2022 was a year full of medical issue. I am praying 2023 will pass without any hospital stays. But, I turn 76 this week so I know this aging body will continue to deteriorate. Gravity takes it toll and the aging process leaves one with a body that does not work well and someday will give it up.

I can tell you from experience that living in the states is easy compared to other places we have lived, actually, too darn easy. Years ago the Lord directed us to overseas mission, Bolivia being the first place we went too. Right away I realize there were no packages of chocolate chips to purchase, but I had friends who like me thought, how hard life is going to get without chocolate chips. It wasn't long I discovered a roll of chocolate called Batons is what people use there. Here is the kicker you must chop them up into chip size to make cookies. It was not as easy to bake anything without those lovely chips. But, one will step up and do the not so easy thing to end that desire for sweets.

Package lunch meat, came about killing the animal, putting the meat through a grinder, presses to get lunch meat. Cheese come from a cow that someone had to milk. It took work to pasteurize the milk to kill the bacteria and then you had to cool it down, skim off the cream to make all sort of things we can just run into a store and buy. I am thankful for the dollar stores near us, they have it all, just pick it up, carry to checkout, take home and use

Ok, thats enough of the hardships of living in an undeveloped country. In case you wondering, we did love it because our purpose for being there had nothing to do with it being easy. We knew it would be hard but doing without the frills of easy living did not cause us to forgo what we knew God wanted us to do with our life. Chocolate chips and packaged lunch meat was not the purpose of our soul. What it did for our family was help us get our priorities in order, narrowed our focus down to our purpose.

Don't get me wrong I love easy and one would think it would make living for the Lord easier. Honestly it is harder to live for the Lord in abundant America. When you do not have internet, and electricity it causes everyday things to be harder. Going to church is harder here, I mean I can stay home in my pj and listen to a message about God. But, that is not what God said to do. He says to assemble TOGETHER, each of us growing together.

I would watch the ladies who lived around us and there only a few who had weight problems. In fact they assumed we were rich because we had some fat on us. They loved to feel the underneath of my arms, you know the part that wobbles.

From Thanksgiving to after the start of 2023 I gained 4 pounds from using easy ways of making things, especially sweets or just buying already made food. It was an easy 4 pounds to put on.

So after seeking easy ways to lose weight I think I will take the hard way of doing that. Less portions, less easy already baked things, more of the old fashion walking when I am able. I love ease but I love more that Jesus did not look around for the easy way to purchase our souls from going to hell. He stepped up to the plate and said, I will go, God who created us suffered and died for us so we could experience salvation. 

What is God teaching you from your abundant living? Is He the one you trust to give you direction for the life you have. Most of the time His direction can be a hard road, not an easy one. Oh, but the sights He shows us on that road, the things we learn that help us to be more like Him. Sacrifice is my new chocolate chip and I would give them up for Him because He gave up all for me. I have started my new year with a thankful heart that turns my eyes to Him.

6 comments:

  1. Happy Almost Birthday, Betty! We can't help the fact that with each year that passes, we are just that much older, but we can keep our focus on the One who is eternal and who promises life eternal with Him. May 2023 be a year in which we serve Jesus completely and wholeheartedly.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grateful age does not affect God. He stays the same so we can trust Him. Blessings.

      Delete
  2. Amen! It was not easy, living in Bolivia, but it seemed oddly simple.

    I loved the sit and chat culture, most of the time. Aunt Mabel’s roses, which Joy had to stop and smell every one, helped teach me to slow down.

    I still move fast but when I remember to slow down and smell the roses the benefits are amazing. People want to be heard and I try my hardest to listen and engage.

    Thank you for this reminder. You are a gem. Thank you for sharing what God lay’s on your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find as I’m aging….79 in 2 months…..there seems to be less of a divided heart….and more of a singleness of vision. More clarity in the Word of God as I read it, and that blessed hope of His soon return is stronger that ever! That “old flesh” still raises its ugly head and always try’s to get its way……but the worldly things don’t pull with the same strength like they used to. He’s promised us fruit in our old age and the fulfillment of that promise is so wonderful! There is a quietness now that comes like a treasured, warm blanket, and the hurried life of a few years ago no longer pulls at me. I’ve never been on the mission field….but like you, things have gotten easier. In my old age, I want to be content with the life He has given me, never stop praising Him, and obey Him with every atom of my being.
    What you wrote above…….what comes easy won’t last and what lasts won’t come easy, is so true……but what we have in Christ cost His everything and will last for us all eternity! What a Savior!
    Thanks, Betty for your faithful words of truth to us. They are a blessing. ❤️🙏❤️

    ReplyDelete
  4. One more comment on how God is directing me. I have been taking meds, an anti depressant for anxiety and have notice how it helps me so much with my physical pain of fibromyalgia. It suppressive the nerve ending the doctors. But it also surpressive my desire to write so I went off it two weeks ago and this reply to you and some of what God has showed me in my heart makes me know I did the right thing. Writing has come easier for me this last week and I sense Him moving in my life and excitement to write. God's timing is perfect isn't it. Again, thank you for your kind words.

    ReplyDelete