Saturday, May 4, 2024

Home

 


The first week of April my husband and I took off from home for a much-needed trip. Plans had been made and changed until we felt like we had the best itinerary that fit us.

We took it slow, about 400 miles a day was added to our SUV. Hotels were booked ahead of time making it easier. To save a little money we brought our cooler filled with lunch meat and chicken salad I made along with bread, crackers, cheese and of course snacks with some fruit too and drinks.

Texas was our first choice because of the lunar eclipse which we got to enjoy with our son and family. A whole week with our three grandchildren watching them in their sport activities and our youngest, Reedley, age 8 get baptized was just the best. After a week we reloaded our SUV and we headed to our next stop, Kentucky. Lord willing, we will see our son and family again at Christmas of 2024.

But, before I go on to the next stop, I have to back up and tell you about more blessings. Hearing from our son of how God moved in his heart to give up social media to have more time for family. I got to go with my daughter in law to a bible study and meet ladies who were pouring into her life. Hearing all the grandchildren tell of how God was growing them. Icing on the holy cake of family.

Next stop was outside of Louisville, Ky. Both of our kids were born in Ky., and it was our jumping off place to enter into overseas missions. So many memories, so many friends and a week was just not enough time to see them all. The few we did connect with was GREAT, and yes, I meant to capitalize the word. It had been years since we laughed so hard as memories kept flooding us as we set with dear friends. At a couple of our supporting churches and our home church we got to show a great video of a Bible dedication in a remote village in Papua New Guinea. There is nothing we like to do better than talking about what God doing all over the world.

That week passed too fast also, and we headed to southern Illinois to visit our family, the place we grew up in. My husband sister always has a room for us with lots of space to relax and she is a great cook too. We met up with brothers, cousins, nephew and nieces and more supporters. Another week of laughter, tears and so many memories to remember.

All good things come to an end, but we were actually more ready than we knew to get home. Our 77-year-old bodies was showing the effects of almost 4 thousand miles under our belt.

Our last visit was Mayo Clinic in Rodchester, Mn. We had made appointments with our doctors to get a couple things checked out. It was my six months checkup after having stints put into my arteries into my kidneys. I had been feeling so good since then I would have been shocked if they found more blockage. Thank God, all was working well. My husband was having some man things checked and it all was fine. Finally, we were on the last leg of our trip, six hours later we were home. Our daughter and mother-in-law cleaned our place, it smelled and looked wonderful. Another blessing there was no snow on the ground and none in the forecast. It was raining and a little chilly but when we left a month ago the grass was not green, now it is and there are buds on the trees which means leaves are on their way.

I know I have probably lost you on this long post, but I knew I had to pen it down before life moves on. With every place, with every person we were reminded of God's faithfulness through our life. So many have already gone home, and the day is getting closer with each minute for us to join them in the heavenly home. While still on earth we will talk about our Savior Jesus. We are blessed with great family and friends and the greatest God. Blessings. 

Our goal when we planned the trip to tell those who have prayed and supported us for years thank you.  You who read  my posts and comment encouraging words are also a part of those who we would like to  thank.  

8 comments:

  1. I'm glad you had a nice trip and got back home safely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your lives radiate the joy that only comes in trusting completely in God's will for you here on earth, Betty! Could you please pray for Danny? He had a heart ablation this past Wednesday; all looked great until the bottom of his right eyes started to blur his vision. A trip to the eye doctor ended in him being taken to the hospital where all his cardio doctors are for observation and multiple tests. His son, Nicco, is with him so I can hold down the fort. We are trusting in God's will that healing will restore Danny to health.
    Blessings to you and yours, and thanks for the prayers always!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Martha, I will surely pary for your Danny and have the ladies in my bible study pray for him too. I think its an ablation they want to do on my husband kidney.

      Delete
  3. So wonderful to hear of this great trip you were able to take to visit with family and friends and supporters in many places. I know they were each very happy to have you come and visit as well. Traveling is not for the faint of heart these days...sometimes just going across town to the store can be a test of faith. So I commend you on making such a long journey. But God was certainly with you, and it sounds like He brought you safely back home, even with wonderful medical reports! Oh, and to have loved ones waiting with a house clean and ready to receive you! What a blessing. Thank you for sharing this with us. You've led a very interesting and meaningful life, in service to God...and He is so gracious to grant you these years to enjoy some blessed retirement! What a wonderful answer to many prayers, I am certain. Again, thank you for sharing. I enjoyed hearing about your journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pam for your encouraging comment. I debated over whether to post it, in fear of boring those who might read it. Then I was reminded of a promise made to my children to pen down our journey which has been an interesting one. I have a rough draft of a book but sad to say it's still in rough stages. Not sure why I cannot put it together for printing. My kids and family and friend would love it. It's still a work in progress in my mind but that could be a cop out on my part. God is good, I so needed this trip,much more then my husband who tends to be an intervert. I need people, not as much as when I was young, but I still need them. These last couple years being house bond so much with my health has been a real learning time in God's grace, it takes more for me to be still, and He continues to give more grace. Blessings on you.

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a perfect and well-rounded and much-needed time away Betty. Glad you and Ace were able to do just that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hardest place to live is in the middle of an health issue that keeps one confined to one place only. I would say Ace did this big of a trip for me. One special thing we got to do was go to the church in Elizabethtown, Ill. where we got married. It's the oldest still functioining Baptist church in Ill. It was locked so we did not get to go inside or find the pastor but it was enough for me to just get our picture taken in front of it.

      Delete