Tuesday, July 30, 2024


Convicting Poem

Not too long after I got saved, I came across this poem and was so moved by it I penned in the front of my bible. I begin to pray, God, less of Betty and more of You about that time. The lessons I learned have helped me through the struggles that come to us. I do not have to rely on my love for other, I only have to rely on God's love for them.

There was no love shown by my Dad growing up which turned my heart to becoming a survivor despite the pain. I learned without Christ that's the only way we can survive hardship. With Him living in me I learned His love for me was the strongest bond because our relationship did not depend on me. He paid it all for me, and I paid nothing for the relationship. NOW THE POEM,

I WONDER
You know Lord how I serve you with great emotional fervor in the limelight.
You know how eagerly I speak for you at a Ladies fellowship
You know how excited I am when I promote a fellowship group.
You know my genuine enthusiasm at a Bible Study..
But I wonder, how would I re-act
If you pointed to a basin of water
And ask me to wash the calloused feet
Of a bent and wrinkled old women,
Day after day, month after month, in a room where nobody knew or saw me.
I wonder, Lord, WOULD I ? Ruth Harms Calkins

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." — Philippians 4:13,

A blessed footnote.  The night before my Dad died God cleared his mind up as if he had never drunk or had a stroke.  My husband led him to the Lord that night.  We actually thought we would be bringing him home in a few days.  The doctor called me early the next morning to tell me my Dad has passed away.  Immediately the thief on the cross came to mind.  He had put his trust in Jesus dying for him on that cross, not in any works he did our could do.  Simple trust in the truth of the gospel.  

 
Like
Comment
Share

4 comments:

  1. This poem you have shared here and your father's acceptance of the Lord at the last possible moment gave me 'God-bumps!' All things are possible because of Jesus and His saving grace. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was no way I could know Dad would get saved just a day before He died. His lostness, his need of a Savior play a huge part of being able to take care of him. Plus, I was in control of him and the VA doctors kept him a drug that help his mood not be so harsh. In fact it was kind of sad to see him reduced to being a child. What played a bigger part was I prayed, what ever it took for him to get saved. So when the thought of us taking care of him came to me and my husband I was reminded how I prayed. Its the love of Christ beating in my soul that made it possible for me to take care of him. Even if he did not get saved I knew I was suppose to take him into our home. He never apologized to me but one day he is sitting at the table and I am cooking and all of a sudden he said, Jo, you know its not suppose to be like this. I knew that he meant me taking care of him who never took care of us kids and our Mom. Only God can do something like that. It gives me God bumps everytime I tell the story. I will have a different Dad in heaven...

      Delete
  2. Hi Betty, I love the scripture ' I can do all things through Christ Who strengthens me', it is so true. I know your dad is in a beautiful place, the place I was taken to when I had a near death experience. God bless you as you continue your journey in the Lord.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brenda for stopping by to encourage me. My husband and I were just taking about those who have had a near death experience because he has a niece who is married to a man who had one and wrote a book about it. Have you ever thought about writing a book about what happened to you? I have never an experience like that so my trust about my Dad getting saved right before he died is in those scriptures on the thief on the cross. I hope they have met each other. The miracle of God clearing his mind up for those few minutes was unbelievable.
      Blessings sister.

      Delete