Tuesday, July 2, 2024

Harmful Comfort Zone

 

Recently I have been listening to a podcast by Jason Seib. His words have stirred my soul and given me a challenge to take up. 

You see, it's my desire to grow into a deeper relationship with God.  As I listen to the podcast, I realize growth has always come when I am out of my comfort zone. When I take up a challenge to change my mind.  

What do you think about the statement Jason makes, that we are addicted to comfort!!!  I ask myself the question, what do I turn to when I am stressed?  I did not like my answers I can assure you.  

We all have our addictions, chocolate, soda, cigarettes, shopping, pills, strong drink, mindless hours watching TV, etc.   I usually turn to food now that I don't smoke when I am stressed. I love to chew gum but it's so bad for my teeth and causes sore in my mouth, but it makes me feel comforted. Crazy. I trade comfort over health.  

I smoked when I got saved and it bothered me, but I was addicted to the idea smoking relaxed me.  Forget lung cancer, the smell, the cost, it relaxed me.  I did quit right before a Christmas that would be a family gathering in which most smoked. I can remember thinking I will never get through those few days without failing not to smoke.  I did, thanks to a change of mindset.  The thought that I was putting something so harmful in my body which also housed the Holy Spirit was the change of mind attitude that brought victory over smoking. 

The deeper I go into the mind of Christ the more I want to shed comfortable habits that are harmful.  Now at 77, semi-retired, my mindset sometimes says I deserve to be comfortable.  With no children at home, I can sleep as late as I want, eat whatever I want, go whenever I want...get my drift.  Comfortable is all about me, me, me.  I believe sugar is addictive but cookies throughout my days with a cup of tea surfing on my phone is sure a comfortable feeling.  



There is nobody that ever walked this earth who shed being comfortable for the sake of others like Jesus.  He left heaven, not a shabby place, no sin, no death, etc.  His life on earth lived for us was not an easy life.  This was His mindset, Father if it be your will.     

                                                                                                                                                                  




2 comments:

  1. We certainly live in an abundance of comfort in this country, Betty. Honestly, now that I'm retired, too, and am not pulled in so many directions, I don't feel as stressed or strung out as I did in past years, and I'm enjoying that feeling immensely. Singing at our new church with Danny, honoring God, brings such a sense of fulfillment and peace.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you and Danny. After living overseas it was hard to adjust back into the wealth of the USA. I truly understand that phrase, to be poor is to not have any choices. I am thankful like you to have choices.

      Delete